Sunday, September 6, 2015

Lektion?

The way classes work in Lund is complicated to say the least. Students take four classes per semester but only a couple at a time. Classes run for anywhere between a couple of weeks to the entire semester and don’t end until after New Year’s. So even though I’m enrolled to take four classes, I’m only in two right now, which means that I have six hours of class per week and way too much free time...

Even though I seem to have free time on paper, I’ve found easy ways to fill it up. My homework for Swedish takes much longer than any other language that I’ve taken and my desire to learn the language pushes me to really try on the work and go an extra couple steps. A good portion of my spare time is filled by my love of coffee and trying new cafes. I can easily spend a couple of hours drinking a cup, talking to friends, doing work, writing, or just watching people pass by. While Lund is homogenous at it’s core, the university gives it a little bit more spice with students from all over Sweden and the world.

After three weeks, I don’t find myself lost quite as often although I did find myself really confused on my run last week and much to my dismay had to use Google Maps to get myself back home. And that was the last time it’s been open, Hooray!

While the classes are not serious, it’s so nice to be taking something that doesn’t have anything to deal with finance, accounting, or business in general. Don’t get me wrong, I love what I study and really enjoyed the experience I got over the summer, but there’s still times when I want to get out and take interesting classes that aren’t all about numbers or making a profit. I’m a closet history nerd so being able to take a course in Scandinavian history is a dream come true. 

Everyone sees abroad as a break from legit class and school and so far, I definitely see that and understand what they are talking about. You learn a lot but it’s not all, or primarily, in the classroom. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Over the past few weeks, I’ve gotten three questions over and over again from friends and family.
  1. How’s your Swedish?
  2. Do you have a Swedish boyfriend yet?
  3. What’s your favorite part of being there?
And here are the answers so everyone can stop asking the same things and come up with something new.
1. My Swedish accent is atrocious and my vocabulary is getting there. Sometimes I sound like I'm trying to speak Italian but with Swedish words. I can get around and understand basic things but otherwise I’m limited to:
  • Kaffe med mjölk
  • Tack!
  • Hej (or two: hej, hej!)
  • En stor falafel med hummus, tack!
  • Fika?
  • Ursäkta! 
2. HAHAHHAA no. Sorry mom, no tall blonde to bring home yet. However, I’m not too worried since I’m here for another three and a half months so I’ve got some time. If anyone has tips on how to get a Swede, I’m more than open to suggestions

3. The people! They’re all really nice. Even though most of them are super quiet, they’re all welcoming, espeicially when I tell them I don’t speak Swedish. I could go on and on about the culture and people but I’ll save that for later.

Vi ses,

Em

Officially a superhero but it's no big deal

Thank you Sweden for giving a name to my coffee addiciton

No comments:

Post a Comment